Any hamsters have a very mobile and active lifestyle. Even the smallest types of hamsters can run more than a dozen kilometers in one day. Not all people have such a daily result. Domestic hamster brothers are not far behind wild breeds. That is why it is very important to equip running wheels or plates of the right size in the aviary. In the absence of this equipment, the hamster will be very bored, winding circles around the cage, climb onto the canvas along the rods (which is unsafe for the animal) or constantly nibble cage rods.
Why you need to wean hamsters to nibble the cage?
This is equally important for both the owner and the pet.
When a hamster bites a cage, it can prick itself, damage its nose or gums against metal rods.
Also, the animal, with constant nibbling, very rubs its muzzle, the hair falls out, the skin is damaged to blood. And this is already fraught with infections.
For the owner, the harm is limited not only to discomfort during night awakenings from loud noises from the friction of teeth on metal bars. A hamster can simply run away.
What to do if a hamster nibbles a cage. Methods
There are several methods, you can combine several for a more effective result.
- Exposure to snacks. A popular method, but it is effective if the reason for the biting is precisely in the request to feed the hamster. So, if you go nearby with food or just sit next to the cage, and it is at these moments that the hamster leaves the shelter and starts making noise in this way - then there is no doubt that he asks for a treat.
There are two options:
- indulge the beast every time, then it will nibble more and more often.
- form a strict feeding regimen with the mixture and treats. Then the hamster will ask either at this time, or stop biting at all, knowing that he will soon be fed. Ensure that solid vegetables and fruits are in the feed.
- The introduction of wooden rods. Hamsters need to grind their teeth constantly - they grow with them all their lives. To prevent the hamster from using cage rods for these purposes, take branches of permitted trees and secure them in the cage in any way. You can make cuts on the branches, the smell of a tree will attract a hamster. If the hamster bites the cage at night, change the branches before bedtime.
- Lemon juice. An equally well-known way to wean a hamster to nibble a cage. According to theory, the hamster will try the oiled rods and it will taste bad for him. But stubborn animals can find other, not oiled rods. Agree, is it not very convenient to constantly process the entire cell several times a day?
Therefore, this method is best combined with others.
- Replacing the cage with a container. For small breeds of hamsters, you can completely replace the cage with a plastic container, they are inexpensive and light in weight. For the Syrians, a much larger container will be needed. The main thing when choosing a container is the absence of internal protruding corners, so that the pet does not bite its way out. Providing the necessary ventilation, digging layer, wheels and rattles - you will create ideal conditions for the hamster.
Why does a hamster do this?
Initially, it’s worthwhile to figure out why the hamster bites the cage, and then develop a solution. It is worth noting that the animal itself is a rodent, so this process is genetically laid for it. So it’s not possible to just wean it off. Also, the upper teeth of the animal are incisors that have no roots and grow throughout his life. If we take the natural place of residence of hamsters, then they eat in it only roots, seeds and grains.
Although these foods do not contain too many nutrients and vitamins. And because of this, the animal for half its life is looking for more reserves, which are not at all soft, but rather fibrous and hard. And so the hamster’s teeth are constantly ground and shortened in a natural way, because he not only seeks food, but also digs his minks for himself.
But domestic hamsters are not at all concerned about this problem, because they are fed constantly and very pleasant food. Therefore, digging holes and searching for something is no longer necessary, but instincts remain the same, as well as the need to put energy somewhere. So the hamster gnaws on a cage or rods. And he starts this most often at night, because they are nocturnal animals. And then the owners decide to wean him to do so. Although few people know exactly how.
Why gnaws a cage
Everything is very simple - the hamster bites the cage at night because it is a rodent. You cannot escape from your nature and your instincts.
- Just like other rodents, the animal grows teeth, and from time to time they need to sharpen them. And it is necessary to sharpen about some solid object, it is with such an object that the design rods act. If he continues to do this, then it is possible to put chalk in his home, perhaps the animal will switch to it and sharpen its teeth against the chalk.
- The hamster nibbles the bars of the cage because he is very bored. Rodents are, in fact, animals that love to live in a large family. Therefore, if the animal lives alone, he has nothing to do, especially at night. After all, rodents are nocturnal creatures, so the peak of their activity falls precisely at night.
- Also, another reason why a hamster chews on a cage is that it is not happy with its living conditions. Most likely, the house is either too small, or it lacks a wheel in its kennel. It is because of the lack of active life that he begins to run across the whole territory and quickly swallow bars all around.
- If your hamster chews on the rods of the whole cage, especially when you eat, then perhaps this is the way the fluffy asks you to eat.
These are the main reasons why hamsters bite the cage. If the above options are not found in you, then maybe he has health problems, maybe something is worrying him. Inspect your animal well, maybe it has wounds or tumors somewhere on its body. Since rodents quite often climb rods, it is often found that the pet pulled the foot and it hurts. If the pets are small and the hamsters chew on the bars of the cage, it is most likely that he wants to walk more, he needs to buy a ball so that he runs around the apartment in it.
With the help of goodies
How to wean a hamster to nibble a cage? Many people are faced with the fact that the hamster bites the cage and what to do in such a situation, they do not know. As one of the ways, experts recommend buying something delicious and most importantly healthy for your pet.
Today, in shops you can find many different tasty and healthy goodies. You need to choose sticks so that the pet “sharpened” them. It is best to take sticks with different tastes and additives, then maybe the pet will switch to these sticks.
Giving such a treat to a pet is necessary only once a day, and preferably before bedtime. Putting a treat is best before you go to bed so that as soon as the pet wakes up, he immediately takes up the wand.
Using mineral stones
If you don’t know why your Dzungarian hamster gnaws on a cage, then perhaps he lacks minerals. For rodents, minerals are a pretty important element. In addition, this is a great option not only to wean a rodent from biting rods, but also a great way to take care of the health of your animal.
The cell can be saved
Such a stone looks like the most ordinary white pebble, which contains a large number of vitamins and nutrients. Many experts say that in 50 percent of cases, pussies sharpen their teeth because they have a large lack of calcium, and so they try to "get" calcium for themselves.
The stone can be purchased at any pet store, it is placed in a house or attached to twigs so that the pet immediately ate the stone, not the twigs. If he destroys part of his home, then he needs to be weaned from such a habit in another way.
With the help of twigs for grinding teeth
Some people think that a hamster can gnaw at a cage. In fact, this is possible, only, most likely, he will gnaw at not the rods themselves, but they will fall away from the constant reeling. Therefore, to prevent this from happening, you can make twigs for your animal, thanks to which it will grind its teeth. It’s best to use only fruit branches for such a thing, so that there is no tar on the branch (it is deadly for the jungar) and no toxins, of course, either.
- When gathering twigs, the first thing to do is to clean it of possible dirt.
- It is best to scald them with boiling water in order to be as sure as possible that there will be no bacteria on the branches.
- Then it is necessary to remove all the thorns so that the animal, when sharpening it, does not accidentally injure itself.
- Before you go to bed, put a few branches and then the rodent will be happy and healthy.
- Replace branches with new ones from time to time. This method is great for the female because she can gnaw almost half of her house over night.
With unpleasant mixtures
To wean animals to gnaw a cage, you can use some unpleasant mixtures. It is possible that they smelled bad or with a strange taste. Of course, you can’t use any poisonous substances, but you don’t want to see an already dead animal one morning.
Experts believe that you can use red pepper, it is quite unpleasant in taste and the animal will never want to touch it or lick it again. It is also recommended to use lemon juice.
Care must be taken, since a large concentration of pepper or lemon juice can lead to poisoning or intoxication. Therefore, apply a little juice so that there is only an unpleasant hue. Then he will gnaw away not metal, but what you put to him.