Grandma's do-it-yourself diaper-making method is still popular.
Firstly, it is necessary for especially sensitive babies who are allergic to all disposable diapers. But secondly, it saves the family budget.
By the way, it’s also environmentally friendly, because tons of disposable diapers daily pollute the environment.
Back in Soviet times, our mothers knew very well how to make gauze diapers for a newborn with their own hands. They were prepared in advance in the required quantities and after each wetting was changed to clean and dry. Such diapers are washed easily, dry quickly, in those days it was a huge plus.
Nowadays, this is a way to save money - disposable diapers are worn at night and for a walk, and home-made diapers are used. And it also helps to learn how to plant a baby, because you see how often he pisses and how he behaves before that.
How to make diapers with your own hands
You can buy gauze, it is inexpensive, and make gauze diapers. You will need 20-25 of them. Gauze is cut in size 60x120 cm for a newborn, 90x180 cm for children 3-4 months.
But it is not necessary to take gauze, for this you can use the usual soft cloth - for example, old bedding. Small diapers are also suitable, you just need to get used to it.
You can make gauze diapers with your own hands in the following ways:
1. Simply fold a piece of fabric 90 cm wide into a triangle, place it under the ass and wrap it, securing the ends - as in the photo
2. And this method is more effective, as it results in a thicker gasket between the legs (see also in the video below):
Again we get a triangular “diaper”, which we put under the ass and wrap it. You can fasten the ends of the diaper simply by plugging them in for each other.
3. It is even easier to make gauze diapers for newborns with your own hands - just fold the gauze in many layers into a rectangle that you put between the legs and either fix it on the waist with an elastic band or pull the sliders on top.
In the pharmacy you can buy ready-made gauze diapers for newborns, and even special pins for them. There is another option for using gauze diapers - is to put them in waterproof panties, which are also sold in pharmacies.
All these methods can be used both constantly and from time to time. It all depends on what you are guided by and how you prefer.
Advantages and disadvantages
Choosing between gauze diapers and disposable diapers, you need to weigh all the advantages and disadvantages of homemade panties.
|Cost savings. One pack of gauze is enough for 25 pieces of diapers.||Do not hold tight enough. The product can slide from the priests of the newborn, and the feces will stain the laundry.|
|Gauze is a breathable material. The skin of the baby breathes, does not overheat. The mucous membrane in the intimate area does not dry out.||Irritating to skin when wet.. Wet gauze turns into coarse material that scratches baby's skin. If you do not change the diaper on time, a rash or diaper rash will appear on the pope.|
|Environmental friendliness, safety.||Requires constant change. |
The child wakes up from a cold, discomfort after emptying the intestines or bladder. Mom often has to get up, change her diaper several times a night.
|Fit perfectly. The diaper is made individually for each baby. He will not be great or small.||Is leaking. |
After the child urinates, he has to change his clothes completely; the gauze diaper does not absorb all the moisture.
|Washing takes a minimum of time in the presence of an automatic machine.||The impossibility of long walks. |
If the child is described, he urgently needs to be changed. In the cold months, it is impossible to do this on the street, so you have to quickly return home.
|Continuous wash. |
For a day a pile of diapers themselves and other outerwear is typed. On average, 25-30 pieces of gauze panties will be needed for 24 hours.
Despite the impressive number of shortcomings of homemade underwear for newborns, many parents choose it, because disposable diapers are too expensive, cause unpleasant consequences from use.
For example, overheating, if you wear synthetic absorbent pants for more than 6 hours in a row, diaper rash, allergies, itching in the perineum in girls, addiction, etc.
The size of the gauze diapers varies depending on the weight and age of the baby.
- For newborns (up to 1 month) weighing up to 5 kg - 60/100 cm.
- For children from 1 to 3 months with a weight of up to 6.5 kg - 80/100 cm.
- Babies from 3 months with a weight of up to 8 kg - 60/100 using the “rectangle” technique, 180/90 - “scarf”, 90/90 - “Hungarian method”.
The size of the fabric product is influenced by the individual characteristics of the child’s development, his physique, waist sizes, priests.
Features of fabric diapers
Today, there are several options for homemade diapers for the smallest:
- Disposable - This is a square or triangular-shaped piece of gauze, wrapped between the legs of the baby like an ordinary purchased diaper.
- Reusable - made of dense material, knitwear or other natural fabric is great.
For reusable diapers, you can not use a fabric with silk threads, as it is electrified and will cause discomfort in the baby. Replaceable inserts are put in home-made diapers, for which a pocket is made in the center of the panties.
In addition to the undeniable advantages, there are also disadvantages:
- It is often necessary to change and wash.
- Unlike factory disposable diapers, they have significantly low hygroscopicity.
Self-tailoring of a fabric diaper by the power of any mom.
What do you need?
To sew a baby diaper, we need:
- Cloth for diaper.
- Fabric for the liner.
- Mesh fabric.
- Velcro closure 4 cm wide and 20-22 cm long.
- Elastic elastic band 0.5-0.7 cm in thickness and 40-45 cm in length.
What material to choose?
For sewing reusable diapers using a variety of materials:
- Marl. The most popular fabric used by our grandmothers. It can be purchased at any pharmacy, has an acceptable cost, and is also environmentally friendly material.
- Chintz. Natural tissue, which does not cause an allergic reaction in babies, perfectly passes air. It is necessary to use fabrics of light shades, in order to avoid a possible allergy in the baby to dyes.
- Flannel. Represents a cotton or half-woolen fabric with fleece. It passes air well and does not irritate the baby's delicate skin.
- Madapolam This fabric is an analogue of ordinary gauze. This is a thin chintz, but more dense and strong.
The use of old diapers and shirts for sewing diapers will be a significant savings in the family budget. Inserts are needed for quick absorption of fluid after the baby goes to the toilet. That is why the main requirement for the material for the liners is good hygroscopicity.
To make liners, the following fabrics will be most suitable:
- Gauze. The best option is to fold it in four layers. After use, these liners are discarded.
- Madapolam These inserts are suitable for reusable use because they do not deform after washing.
- Microfiber. Despite the fact that it is not a natural material, it absorbs moisture well and does not cause skin irritation.
- Microfiber. This material will not bring inconvenience to the baby and quickly absorbs moisture.
- Bamboo cloth. Most mummies make liners from old bamboo towels. Towels of light shades are preferable.
In addition to materials, the following tools are needed for sewing a diaper:
Sewing a diaper on the inside and outside will require approximately one meter of the main fabric and mesh fabric. Consumption of fabric for the technique of folding gauze or a square or rectangular fabric must be sewn along the edges.
Length and width vary:
- 60 * 120 cm (the size of diapers from gauze for newborns), 80 * 160 cm (for crumbs from 1 to 2 months) or 90 * 180 cm (for a child of three months of age) - using the "scarf" technique.
- 60 * 100 cm - for folding "rectangle".
- 60 * 60 cm or 90 * 90 cm - for the "Hungarian" technique.
It is quite simple to make a pattern to sew a diaper. It is necessary to take a store disposable diaper and circle its contours with a marker.
- Take the material and fold in half, pin the pattern and circle it. Cut, transfer symmetrical labels to the second half. Do the same with the mesh.
- Sew Velcro to the front of the material part.
- At the opposite end of the part from the material, make a drawstring for the elastic. Push the elastic into the hole and flash several times.
- Treat the back of the mesh part with a zigzag or overlock.
- Sew two parts.
- Sew an elastic band around the legs on the back of the part.
- Unscrew the part and flash everything on the front side. It is necessary to sew everything correctly near the legs.
- Cut four Velcro fasteners measuring 2 centimeters by 4 centimeters and sew to the marked marks on the inner layer of the diaper.
- The diaper is ready. All that remains is to insert the insert.
You can learn more about sewing a reusable diaper by watching the video:
Tips for parents on care and washing
How to wash and care for cloth diapers:
- Wet gauze diaper is quite simple to rinse in clean water or in the washing machine along with diapers.
- The dirty diapers accumulated during the day should be put in a bucket of water and baby powder.
The rules are a little stricter for the care:
- Hand wash in warm water using baby soap or a special powder.
- After stool, you need to thoroughly rinse and stash the liner, then soak in hot water.
- After drying, iron with iron at maximum temperature.
Shop diapers are made by combining polyethylene and cotton. According to statistics, the baby spends about 6,000 disposable diapers before using the pot. Before store diapers, most mothers used home-made diapers.
Nowadays, fabric diapers are becoming popular again, since it is possible to use them many times, and significant savings in the family budget play an important role.