You find that something is wrong with the monitor of your favorite computer, laptop, smartphone, TV or tablet. Namely, one or several white, green, red or blue dots appeared. What is it? You see broken pixels. The problem is small, but still unpleasant. Even a couple of such points are not happy, especially if the screen is small. The way out of the situation is the restoration of dead pixels with the help of certain programs or mechanical. How exactly to "cure" the screen, we will share with you further.
A bit about pixels
Before we begin to analyze the restoration of broken pixels, we will figure out what it is. First, the basic concept. A pixel is a small part that makes up an image on a liquid crystal screen. It consists of three components (subpixels) of red, green and blue.
Faulty pixels come in two forms:
- Broken (hot, stuck). One or two subpixels are defective. What does a broken pixel look like? A dot can glow red, green, turquoise, yellow, magenta, or blue. It may look black on some images. Less often all three subpixels do not work, then the square glows white. Recovery of dead pixels is possible!
- The dead. This is a kind of defective pixels, which, unfortunately, can no longer be restored. Dots do not burn in any color; they look black on any background. The solution is to replace the screen.
Reasons for the appearance
What causes dead pixels on the screen? Experts believe that the root of their appearance - in the technology of manufacturing matrices for LCD screens. The pixel is small and unstable, so any defect in production can lead to its inoperability in the future. The reason may be an accidental ingress of dust, exposure to a substrate with crystals - washing, heating, lithography.
Hence, no microprocessor technology can guarantee the release of completely non-rejected crystals. We can say that absolutely free from poor-quality pixels matrices do not exist. One or two broken pixels is the norm for almost any screen. A problem is considered when their number continues to increase.
The appearance of dead pixels on the monitor may provoke the following:
- Excessive heating of the device.
- Excessive cooling of the device.
- Being close to powerful sources of electromagnetic fields.
- Physical effects on the screen - blows, tapping, falling, pressing, etc.
Sites to check
How to check your monitor for broken pixels? The easiest way is to go to a specialized site, which can be found by a search engine by request. All resources of this type act in the same way: the screen is filled with a certain color, a group of shades, gradients, which easily make it possible to find a faulty pixel on the monitor.
Let's share examples of such sites:
- Monteon.ru. The advantage of the resource is that the check is available both for computers, and for smartphones, tablets. You need to go to the resource, click on the "Start" button. The screen is covered with 7 color bars. Using the arrows, you can change their position to search for dead pixels. There is only one drawback: the lower part of the window is used under the menu, so it is impossible to find broken pixels using the site.
- Tft.vanity.dk. This site is more convenient than the previous one, since the menu in it pops up. It contains a large number of images that help to detect broken pixels.
- Video on YouTube. On a popular video hosting, users uploaded a lot of video files to search for dead pixels. You only need to turn on the video and expand the full-screen view.
Programs for checking
How to check for broken pixels TV, computer? We suggest using the following testing programs:
- IsMyLcdOk. Easy to use utility that does not require installation. You only need to download and run it. A hotkey menu will appear in the window, which will explain how to control the color change on the screen to find bad pixels.
- DPT The utility starts from the official site. Here you can change the colors by scrolling the mouse wheel, or by putting their change on the self-timer. It is possible to play with the color scheme for a better search for faulty points.
Recovery on TV: method number 1
We pass to actions. How is the recovery of dead pixels on the TV? The first way is a massage! That is, the physical effect on the faulty pixel:
- Turn off the TV.
- Take a soft cotton swab and gently press several times in the area of the inoperative pixel.
- After a couple of minutes, turn on the TV to check.
- If the procedure did not bring a satisfactory effect, you can repeat it several times.
Remember that the display is extremely fragile, so sharp, piercing or scratching parts should not be used for a “massage”.
How to detect broken pixels?
There are many different programs that cyclically displays various colors. The main sign will be any point of a different color on a solid background. The pixel seems to be stuck in one position and does not respond to image changes. Such defects can be repaired by some programs and physical manipulations.
How to recover a broken pixel?
Let's analyze the hardware (software) method by which you can identify and try to "revive" a broken pixel. Examples of such programs are Bad Crystal, JScreenFixDead, and Dead Pixel Tester.
Dead pixel tester Is a free utility that is designed to test and recover broken pixels (dataproductservices.com).
To do this, download the Dead Pixel Tester utility and run it. In the “Pattern” column, select the “Solid” option opposite the “Auto color cycle” column, check the box and set the time: 2500 ms. Leave the program to work for one to two hours.
The principle of operation of this application is to stimulate imaginary "dead" pixels with alternating colors. It happens that as a result of such color activity, faulty pixels begin to function normally.
If this does not help, you can use the mechanical method. Take a cotton swab or microfiber cloth (some prefer to use an eraser), and then, with a little pressure, swipe the screen with the defective pixel from left to right and from bottom to top.
Repeat this process several times. If this procedure also did not help, then the pixel is really corrupted. Now you know what a pixel is, and how to fix such defects. See you in new articles. Good luck I would be grateful if you share this article with your friends.
Dead pixel recovery software
About high-tech methods used only in laboratories, it’s not worth talking about. Is it possible, in principle, to get rid of colorful dots at home? Yes it is possible! And I myself was convinced of this. There are two ways to eliminate dead pixels - software and mechanical.
Recovery occurs due to the quick change of colors of adjacent pixels. Thanks to this process, a large amount of energy is supplied to the subpixels and they come to life. This technology promises to restore from 55% to 90% of "stuck pixels." However, for each case it may take a different amount of time, you will have to experiment if damaged pixels cannot be removed from the raid. By experiments is meant a change in the speed of color change and the time of the program.
The recovered pixel may become stuck again after a while, especially in hot weather. Then the treatment process will need to be repeated. In some cases, such a pixel cannot be completely cured.
UndeadPixel will suit most
We go to the official website and download the program installer. I recommend the installation version, not the portable one.
In the main window of the program, it is proposed to start by finding broken pixels by filling the screen with solid colors: red, lime, blue, white, black and yellow. Different broken pixels will be visible on different backgrounds. If you already know where your pixels are, then go straight to recovery.
UDPixel works like this: a box appears in which colors change quickly, i.e. the pixel recovery algorithm works there, and we need to move this box to the problem area of the screen. In the "Undead pixel" section, you need to set the parameters:
- Flash windows - the number of squares, i.e. how many problem areas are you going to treat at the same time
- Flash size - the size of one square in pixels 1 × 1 or 5 × 5. Since it’s very difficult to set the square 1 × 1 exactly to 1 pixel, the area 5 × 5 is suitable for restoring even one pixel
- Flash interval - pixel refresh rate according to the algorithm. The shorter the time, the faster the speed. Maximum speed at 3 ms.
Click Start and move the flickering square (s) to the defective places, see the video below. When the pixel starts to blink, then this is already an application for victory, just leave it for a longer time. If everything is unchanged, then select the maximum speed and wait until the pixel disappears. In the worst cases, this can take 10 hours; there is no point in waiting any longer.
The peculiarity of UDPixel is that during pixel recovery you can continue to work if the squares are not large and do not interfere.
JScreenFix for browser
This is not a program, but just a website, a free service on the Internet. Thanks to this, JScreenFix can be run on any device with the Internet: a computer, laptop, tablet, MacBook or LCD panel.
We turn the page down and press the “Launch JScreenFix” button. The JScreenFix script restores broken pixels in the same way as UDPixel, only without the ability to change the settings, and it will not work at this time to work on the computer.
You need to move the iridescent square to the problem pixels, and if they are outside the browser window, then go to full screen mode with the green button. Check out the video on how Undead Pixel and JScreenFix work:
Manufacturers of these programs recommend doing preventive maintenance for their monitor, occasionally starting the “recovery process”. I don’t know how justified it is to spend my attention on this, but for plasma panels this can be really useful.
Bad Crystal - an all-in-one combine
On the site you can both download the program and buy. The free version works for 30 days in a limited functionality mode, in which more advanced technologies do not work. On the Internet you can find a version without restrictions 😉
The program starts with the choice of device: computer screen, mobile phone, game console or plasma panel.
For mobile phones and game consoles, a video file is generated for the selected resolution. It will need to be played in repeated mode on the smartphone. For the TV, you can burn a DVD-ROM or flash drive with the finished video, or connect to a computer and run in "Full Screen" mode.
If you have a regular monitor or laptop, select “Computer Monitor”. To display an additional menu, you need to move the mouse to the top of the window. Four modes are available here: Common Clearing (CCM), System Modified (SMF), Complex Force (CFV), Personal Protection (PPM). Only CCM and PPM work in the free version. The remaining two modes should provide a higher percentage of recoverable pixels. By default, CCM is selected.
Click “Launch” and move the window to the area of broken pixels. We wait 5-10 minutes and check. If the point remains, then increase the speed using the “Speed Up” button, which appears if you bring a mouse to it, and wait another 10-15 minutes.
The developers claim that their algorithms can not only treat pixels, but also eliminate spots on the screen and even stripes. But this is the case when it is just a cluster of pixels not working correctly. Watch the video:
Further, so that the pixels do not get stuck again, it is recommended to turn on the automatic preventive mode - PPM. In this mode, the monitor changes colors over time. The process starts 2-3 times a month when no one is working on the computer.
I have not tried this method, but have seen many reviews in its favor. If the programs could not cope, then it's time to massage the monitor 🙂 Exactly. You take an ear stick and begin to do massage on the place of the broken pixel. Just do not push very hard, but so that there are stains, and massage the causal place. The case requires perseverance, as it may take from 10 to 30 minutes of work.
If it turned out - cheers! Congratulations, you can "polish" this Bad Crystal’s business. And if the pixel stubbornly does not want to recover, then you can try to run the program and at the same time massage the place for about 15 minutes, after which leave the program to work for 10 hours.
However, it is not always possible to return the screen to its ideal state, perhaps you will not succeed, do not worry. But there will be a reason to change the monitor for something newer and more interesting! True, such a "joy" is difficult to share with the owners of laptops ...
I hope you find this article very useful. Your friends will be very grateful if you share this information using the buttons of social networks under the article.
The difference between dead and dead pixels
Dead pixels are almost impossible to fix because all three subpixels have turned black. Also, due to a lack of power, the pixel may die. However, most of the dead pixels can be fixed.
Dead pixels look the same as dead pixels, but they can still display three primary colors. Most often, these pixels can be restored using special software.
Pixel Healer [Windows] is a program that quickly displays various colors on the monitor to restore broken pixels and mix primary colors.
You can set the preferred amount of time for the program to work before it automatically closes. In addition, you can configure blinking on a specific area of the screen, not the entire monitor.
Be careful when running this kind of program. It is not recommended to look at the monitor during its operation. Blinking colors can cause bouts of epilepsy. Instead, start the timer, as mentioned earlier, and after the process is complete, return to the computer.
It is worth noting that this program does not detect broken or dead pixels. She is only trying to fix them.
UndeadPixel: universal utility
Download the full version (installable) from the official site, it has more features, it works more correctly. When the program starts, the user will be asked to scan the monitor to look for dead pixels. The screen will fill with different colors, from black to red and yellow. The pixels are different, and each will be visible against a background of a certain color. We found out where all the pixels are located, now we can start the recovery procedure.
The program launches a special recovery algorithm, visually it is a small square with a quick change of colors inside. We set it on broken pixels and set the parameters in which we set the number of squares that simultaneously work on the screen (Flash windows). We also set the size of the box - on average 5x5 (Flash size), and set the update speed (Flash interval).
We start the recovery, put a square on the broken pixels, wait for the pixel to blink, notifying that the restoration is over. It is better to set the maximum speed and time, sometimes recovery takes several hours. During the procedure, you can safely work on your computer, the program does not interfere, does not require a lot of resources. There are problems that cannot be restored, if the broken pixel does not disappear for more than ten hours, then it makes no sense to wait longer.
Other methods to recover broken pixels
You can also run the video on YouTube and expand to full screen.
If the software didn’t help restore the broken pixels, then take a small piece of cloth and press on the area of the screen with the broken pixel. If the problem is still not resolved, contact the service center. Most monitor manufacturers fix broken pixels under warranty.
Recovery on TV: method number 2
Safer pixel recovery on the TV - deleted. That is, using specialized applications. One of the most popular is JScreenFix. The developers claim that this utility helps to cope with the problem after half an hour of exposure. If the first procedure has not had an effect, then it is worth repeating it several times every four hours.
Recovery on TV: method number 3
What is the easiest way to recover broken pixels on a TV? This is the delivery of the device for warranty repair or writing an application for its replacement.
Is it possible? Not everyone knows, but even such a small defect (one faulty box on the monitor) is already a reason for warranty service or replacing the device with a working one.
"Лечение" битых пикселей на компьютерах и ноутбуках также происходит двумя способами: механическим и программным. Чем же помогают утилиты? Программа быстро меняет цвета смежных пикселей. Этот процесс приводит к тому, что к поврежденным субпикселям приходит больше энергии, в результате чего они "оживают".
Как показывает практика, программы действенны в 50-90 % случаев. Однако не всегда помочь дефектному пикселю получается с первого раза. You need to experiment with the application’s runtime and color change speed to achieve the fastest effect.
It is not necessary to assume that "treatment" will help once and for all. The problem may come back, especially in hot weather. Then the restoration of dead pixels on the monitor will have to be repeated.
Below we will present the most popular programs for "treatment".
Many users note that the most effective way to restore dead points is mechanical. Imagine a pixel massage algorithm:
- Take a dull soft object - a cotton swab, a pencil with an eraser on the end and so on.
- Press lightly on the broken pixel until the first stains appear.
- If there is no effect, then apply more pressure.
- Did not help? We make circular movements of the object along the point - to the right and left sides. Repeat several times.
- The following procedure: click on the broken pixel, and then drag the tool up and then back. Repeat down, left and right.
- In case of failure, many turn to a risky step: they repeat all the above actions with a sharpened pencil through a cloth, so as not to scratch the screen.
- Sometimes the combination of mechanical and software methods helps a lot. Effective will be the simultaneous operation of Bad Crystal and massage with a cotton swab for a problem point for 15 minutes. Then the program is left to function independently for 10 hours.
Fix dead pixels on a smartphone
The solution to the problem on the gadget may be as follows:
- Launch JScreenFix in the mobile browser according to the scheme that we indicated above.
- For devices based on Android in the Google Market, you can download the Dead Pixel Detect and Fix application, which works in the same way.
- Mechanical "massage". Turn off the device and, using a lint-free cloth, massage the problem area with your finger with your fingers for 10 minutes. Turn on the gadget and repeat the same operation with the active display.
- Make a heating pad by pouring it into a tight package of hot water, wrapping it with a dense, lint-free cloth. This device should massage the problem area on the screen for 5 minutes.
Now you know how to deal with dead pixels on the screen of your device. Today, not only mechanical, but also software recovery methods are available.